Rice Kheer Recipe
Rice kheer is a traditional sweet dish very popular in India. It is mostly prepared during puja, festivals, weddings or any special occasions. Rice kheer is prepared with good quality of Aromatic Basmati Rice, Milk and Sugar. You can add chopped nuts, saffron and green cardamom to enhance its taste. It is winner in my family and everyone loves rice kheer especially my husband. One version uses cooked rice instead of uncooked rice you can use cooked rice and replace half of the milk with condensed milk .
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
Milk – 1 liters
Basmati Rice – 1/2 cup
Sugar – 4-5 tbsp
Green Cardamom – 2 pods
Almonds – 6-10
Cashew nuts – 6-10
Raisin – a handful
Saffron – few strands
- Wash the rice and soak it in little water for few hours(You can use 1 cup of cooked rice also instead of raw to reduce the cooking time).
- Boil the milk and add the rice(while using cooked rice for this recipe boil only 1/2 liters of milk and add 1 tin of condensed milk when the milk is fully boiled).
- Keep the flame in slow and let the rice get cooked.
- Chopped the nuts and soak the saffron stand in some warm milk.
- Add the saffron and milk mixture to the kheer also take the seed of the green cardamom out and crush it to make its powder.
- Keep steering the kheer from time to time and do not let the rice to sit in the bottom of the pan for long or it will stick there and will start burning.
- When the rice is cooked after 15-20 mins add the sugar, chopped nut, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Keep the flame on low an let the milk thicken.
- Add some chopped nuts and saffron strands on the kheer for decoration.
- Serve hot or cold (I prefer eating cold especially in summers).
Hope you liked this recipe it is very simple and easy to make. You can make this recipe more healthier and fit for diabetic by replacing sugar with its substitute that is recommended for diabetic patients and dieting people.